Want more? Check out my blog archive or please visit the Jack Rabbit Freedom site.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

"I Can't Believe It's Not Beef" Tofu Jerky

   I just made my first batch of Tofu Jerky....and it was so much better than expected. Most of the time when I think about tofu, I think bland. Tofu Jerky was anything but bland; in fact, it was really tasty! I took:
Soy Sauce,
Water,
Minced Garlic,
Garlic Powder,
Onion Powder,
Cheyenne Pepper,
Liquid Smoke,
Dark Brown Sugar,
Salt,
and a Dehydrator...
...mix ingredients to taste in a 3in. deep dish and then cut my Tofu Jerky strips. When cutting your pieces of Tofu Jerky make sure that you slice them about 1/8in. thick. Put your Tofu Jerky strips in your marinade and let it sit for a few hours to soak up the flavor.... you can also press your tofu before you get started to get rid of any excess water and to allow your jerky strips to soak up more marinade. After your Tofu Jerky is done marinating put them in your dehydrator until jerky-like and brown. I used the vegetable/fruit setting and let it sit through the night, about 8 hours, and it was almost perfect. I should also state that if you cut your Tofu Jerky too thick or do not marinate them enough you run the risk of eating Tofu Jerky that tastes like a plain rice noodle and that's not the flavor we are looking for. So get in your kitchen and start experimenting with this new favorite, Tofu Jerky! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment